Tuesday, March 8, 2011

AL JOLSON

Al Jolson

One of my old favorites. A most unique sound and heavy with Dixie lyric; Dixie, where I now live. Then along came Norman Brooks who sounded as much like Jolson as Jolson.

Norman was a Canadian lumberjack turned singer. My wife Connie and I met Norman and his wife at Sciolla's Cafe in Philly where he was performing. I performed there several weeks before. Connie and I had dinner with Norman and his wife at Sciolla's and they told us of their little daughter in Canada. She could not travel with them.

You may remember Norman in "Oceans Eleven" with Sinatra and the Rat Pack. Joey Bishop, another Philly guy was in it. I was in a charity show at Southern High School with Joey Bishop and Al Martino, a long time ago. I sang Old Man River from the musical, "Show Boat". Guess I'm a bit beyond my childhood at this point.

Was my life fun...or what?

No comments:

Post a Comment