Wednesday, July 14, 2010

What the Kitchen Meant in the Old Days

In my time, it was the most important room in the house.  The family was together at dinner.  We gathered on Friday nights at Millie's.  My mom's aunts, uncles and cousins were all their for two things ... good eating and song fests.  All of us sang, uncle Angelo on the violin, uncle Reds on the mandolin and uncle Charlie offering sound effects and great humor. There were daily coffee clutches with my mom and neighbors. South Philly was a great place to grow up. A 10-inch oscillating fan atop the "ice box" seemed adequate for cooling. No supermarkets, but a butcher shop, produce market, grocery, chicken store, bakery and fish market.  I was the young, enthusiastic family shopper who ran traffic with a host of hucksters on a daily basis, offering everything you can imagine.  Even more amazing ... it was delivered by horse and wagon ... even the milk man and bread man. Vendors traveled our streets daily, sharpening knives, fixing umbrellas and entertaining us kids with carousel.  These were simple times ... pleasurable times.

1 comment:

  1. My mom asked me if you remember the "family rag" that got passed around at the dinner table. No napkins around back then! :-) My mother is so much like your mother, our dear Aunt Millie. We both use her expression all the time, "What are you gonna do?"

    ReplyDelete